History

Kalec village was remembered for the first time in 1234. The fortress was mentioned in 1543. After the battle at Bílá Hora in 1623 the village with the mill was dedicated to Plasy monastery. Evžen Tyttl, the abbot of Plasy monastery, decided in years 1710–16 to build a new baroque farmstead with the chapel of St. Margaret, at the place of the former fortress. The author of the farmstead is said to have been J. B. Santini-Aichel. When Joseph II. closed the monastery in 1785, Kalec farmstead was taken into the administration of a religious foundation. There was a fabric factory in years 1805-28 at the farmstead. When the corvee was abolished the village probably ceased.

During the first land reform the owner of the farmstead was changed. The ancestors of the owners, the Brčka family, got this property back in restitution after 1989. The current owners wanted the farmstead to be reconstructed. The farmstead has gradually been reconstructed in such a large extent so that the outstanding historical landmark could be preserved.

Architecture

The disposition of Kalec farmstead is remarkable in comparison to other baroque farmsteads of Plasy monastery. The geometrical construction and mutually corresponding measurements of single parts form a number of interesting structures. The ground plan is formed by an opposite couple of variously splayed “V”s . The dominant building of the manor is located in a southwest top of one V. The narrow and high building of the manor has two residential floors and also further three floors of granaries. Between the windows of the first floor, at the inner side of the central part of the manor, there is a stone coat-of-arms of the Plasy abbey from 1769. There is also an inscriptional board with a chronogram and a sun-dial.

There used to be an ornamental garden in front of the manor in 19th century.

© KALEC 2009 - prepared by FARMY.CZ